Friday, September 25, 2009

I wanna see Heaven

today when I picked Britton up from school, he had a lot of questions about Heaven.  I answered them as best as I could...Not having been there, I couldn't be sure of all the correct answers, but I gave it the good old college try!  I have known since Britton was born that someday the questions would come...we actually talked about it in small group on Tuesday night.  How the age of accountability is different for every child.  Brit is 5 1/2 and the age of 6 is quickly approaching. I cannot imagine the joy in a mom's heart as she watches her child accept Christ into his/her heart and then enter into baptism with Him.  I get those "mom tears" just thinking about it.  When Britton was 2, we were about 5 months from moving here and there was a song that was popular on the radio by Matthew West,  Next Thing You Know (Thirteen)
I remember when I was thirteen , I saw a picture on my TV screen, The Reverend Billy Graham and the people sing “Just As I Am”, And I felt like You were talking to me, And the whole world seemed to fade away, Until I heard my mother say “Son, are you ok? Do you wanna pray? And that became the hour I first believed!
Every time I heard this song I would fight tears...What JOY that mom must have felt...Question upon question would pour through my mind: how did she know, will I know, will it be this easy? 
Today, after picking up Brit, and he was asking me those questions, I couldn't help but think of this song and I got that same familiar lump in my throat as I tried to answer questions about Heaven and our Savior for my oldest child.  "I wanna go to Heaven, Mommy" "Do I have to die to get there?" "will it hurt to die?" "Why do I have to wait until I die to see God?" "When I see Jesus, will he pick me up and sit me on a cloud so I can see the whole world?" 
I said to him, "Britton, you just have to make sure you have Jesus in your heart, you have to ask Him to be there and to forgive you for not making good choices" He said to me with absolutely certainty: "I have Mommy, he is in my heart forever"  
Oh, to flash forward 25 years and for him to feel this same way!  My heart will explode when he finally is baptized in a church...It may just be too much for this old softy to handle!  How in the WORLD does our Savior stand it?!  





No comments:

Post a Comment