Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Blessings: something we don't deserve that God gives us anyway

When I was pregnant with Britton, there was this Hallmark commercial that was popular.  It was about a lil boy who came home from school and went on about his life after handing mom the backpack.  He was looking for a particular toy and it shows him in various places around the house.  Mom, on the other hand, was looking through his backpack, where she found a card.  She asks the lil boy who the card is from and is informed that it is from his teacher.  She then opens the card and reads it.  Her son had sacrificed a recess to stay in with a lil boy who couldn't go outside b/c of his disability or illness.  The little boy did this willingly...Every time I watched this commercial I would all but sob.  To have a son this selfless would be such a blessing...almost too much to ask for....
A blessing is something that we don't deserve that God gives us anyway and I have truly been blessed with Britton's giving nature.  I blogged earlier about how Britton wanted to pray for his friend Kate.  I recently found out that I actually know Kate's mom.  I spoke with her at the school picnic on Sunday and told her that Britton was praying for Kate to get better and that he initiated this all on his own.  Today, Josh checked the mail, and as I was going through it noticed there was a card for Britton.  I took it outside and said, Brit you got a card in the mail.  He said, Cool, what's it say?  I then opened the card and read it to Britton.  It was from Kate's mom and it was thanking Britton for his prayers and re assuring him that God is good and will take care of Kate.  I was fighting tears the entire time and trying to read it while ignoring the huge lump in my throat.  When I finished, I hugged Britton and said, Britton, do you know how special this is?  He said, yeah, but how did she know I prayed for her mommy, Did God tell her? I informed him that it was I who had told her.  He said, Oh, ok.  I know God will heal Kate, Mommy.  I said, nothing...I couldn't...My heart was overflowing...
Today I had some tooth work done and my tooth is really hurting.  After Britton had been tucked in, he came in my room and said, Mommy, when I sleep with Happy (his little stuffed friend) I always feel better.  Would you like to sleep with him tonight?  
Again, all I could muster was a smile and a nod.  
I have prayed for Britton since he was in my tummy...but I had NO idea God would bless me so much by giving me such a considerate child.  He is truly good.  His Daddy and I would LOVE to take the credit, but No, that is ALL GOD!  That is the only explanation for such goodness in such a young soul...
Such a BLESSING!!!  Thankfully the Lord saw fit to give him to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment