Saturday, August 27, 2011

Simple as THAT

Joe, Emma, Lisa and Ben Merkatoris (Lisa's gonna hate me for this pic!)

Thomas, Jack & Britton (buddies)
I've been a little quiet this week...it's been a week of tears in our home...now you may have a panicked thought, like, oh NO, what's happened...is someone sick? Did someone pass away? Is someone hurt? and I can answer with a firm NO...however, for the Griffin family the tears flowed just the same.  You see, this week we found out that our neighbors and close friends, the Merkatoris family, will soon be leaving us for the cold air and snow that comes with living in Wisconsin.  While our hearts break for US, we rejoice for them...it is where they want to be...it's where they belong.  My kids understand this feeling so well that on Wednesday on the way home from school Aidan said, "Momma, I wish my daddy would get a job where WE want to be, you know Colowado." Yes, Aidan..I know...but for now, God wants us here.  Hard to swallow at times, but it is all in His timing...oh yes, VERY hard to swallow. 
As I trudged through the week, always one thought away from a torrent of tears, I have been told, by well meaning folk no doubt, "just one more place to visit" and "you'll keep in touch, it will just be on the phone"...but much like a toddler in a toy store, I feel the urge to stomp my foot and scream "That's NOT GOOD ENOUGH".  I enjoy hearing my sons say, "Momma, I'm going out to play with Thomas and Jack," "Momma, can I go play with Emma?"...and I get to have play dates sometimes too..when things get to "manly" in my house, I can escape very quickly, across the street and lose myself in the little girl world of Emma Merkatoris or just sit and talk with her mom, Lisa, about GIRL stuff....it may be a conversation as simple as what ice cream we were craving last night, but for some reason it gives me my "girl" and my "friend" fix all at the same time.  But even more than those wonderful things..is seeing another family as "weird" as we are, outside enjoying the fresh air...having lightsaber battles, riding bikes, just being a family. Sometimes I feel like the times of "just playing outside" have gone away...we are an inside culture...but then again, maybe that is more of a regional thing...but since we have lived in our town, I have noticed more and more that kids very rarely just go outside to BE outside.  When the Merkatoris' moved in, and they were outside..I thought we hit pay dirt and they quickly became a part of our EVERY DAY.  And, now, it's all about to change.  *sigh*
As I said, tears have flowed a plenty this week...and right now is no different *sniff sniff*..I have spent much time in prayer...asking God to HELP me be not only a good friend and support their move and not make a horrible groaning noise when Lisa talks about their upcoming move, but to also be a good solid mommy for my boys who haven't yet had to face the reality of being the only "weird" kids in the neighborhood again...It was during a time of prayer, well, OK PLEADING with God to give me strength..that I remembered this story in the Bible.  It involves David, go figure, and while I've shared it before...I'll share it again.
1 Samuel 20:41-42  here is a little back story first...Jonathan's father, Saul was jealous of David and wanted to kill him...but Jonathan and David were best friends and Jonathan wanted to keep David safe..so they decided that they should depart and perhaps not see each other again..
"..David got up from the south side of the stone and bowed down before Jonathan three times with his face to the ground.  Then they kissed each other and wept together-but David wept the most.  Jonathan said to David, 'Go in peace, for we have sworn friendship with each other in the name of the Lord saying, 'The Lord is witness between you and me, and between your descendants and my descendants forever." 

You see, I will be David...I will probably weep the most, because, well, I'm a weepy person and I AM the one getting left after all! BUT..there is reason to hope...we live in a world where travel is so easy.  There is no reason for us to not travel to WI to see our friends..to make a promise to see each other at least once a year!  The friendships that have been built between our children will last forever...they are just too priceless not to.  And the kindred spirit I have found in Lisa...well, that goes without saying.  So, for now..I will hug and kiss her....and tell her that the Lord is a witness..we will be friends forever..and our kids will know each other..and love each other..because, that's just the way it is.  And during this time of transition..that is what I will choose to focus on.
Simple as that. 
~love you "Megatrons" aka Merktoris'...



No comments:

Post a Comment