Saturday, August 27, 2011

Digging Deep

I just finished watching a video series that hit me in the gut.  Now as a mom, usually I find that if things aren't pretty or flashing lights, I have a hard time getting interested.  It could have to do with my sleep deprived life of having 3 sons under the age of 7...(well, I'm blaming that anyway!) However, recently I reviewed a video series for the publisher Waterbrook-Multnomah.  The series is called Desiring God by John Piper and is based off of the book that was released several years ago.  In the videos, John Piper further explains how God is most glorified when we are happy in Him.  Hmmmm....interesting concept...Then John Piper explains how today's circumstances and situations in our lives should be experienced with the Glory of God in mind.  Now I'm interested!
Although, the videos did remind me of videos I used to watch in college seminars, *ugh* I couldn't seem to pull myself away from them....I came to the conclusion that John Piper doesn't need bells or whistles..the Word is the meat!  It is what kept me coming back for more.  I found myself longing to just sit and watch all the videos in one sitting...my 1 year old didn't concur.  So, unfortunately, I had to break my viewing up into sessions...bummer.   Now, it wasn't PRETTY...the case didn't chime when I opened it and there was no funny Mom-like figure cracking jokes about diapers and bottles to keep me engaged...but I did find that I learned MORE from these series of videos than just about ANY study I can recall.  Sometimes, I believe we momma's need to get serious about our Faith...and put aside our "fun" "bubble" filled lives and just GET IN the word..and dig deep.  How else can I teach my sons to take their faith seriously, if Momma doesn't...that not ALL spiritual moments are like a day at VBS or Acquire the Fire.
So, if you're a momma and you're looking for a good video to help you dig deep in your quiet time, might I recommend the Desiring God video by John Piper...You will NOT be disappointed!
~in Him...
Misty



No comments:

Post a Comment