Sunday, March 13, 2011

A tradition of giving...




Today we celebrated Britton's birthday. We had his birthday party at the local bounce place. About 18 of his closest friends came and celebrated with us. It was a ton of fun. Today, however, it was not only fun, but just felt right...In our family, Josh and I feel like the art of gift giving isn't just about the gimme gimme gimme's...it's about someone who cares about you picking out a gift that they feel represents you or their friendship with you. Then the beauty of giving that special gift to you and being able to look you in the face as you marvel while opening it. In order to teach this lesson, when one of our boys are invited to a party, we take the boys to the store and let them pick out a gift for their friend. And when one of our boys is the recipient, we have each child who has brought a gift to one of our boys, we have that child hand the gift, one at a time to him. Sounds confusing...a wee bit crazy...and yes it takes more time...but the rewards are priceless!
At Aidan's last birthday, I asked each child, who brought a present to get their present and give it to Aidan...we did this one at a time...then Aidan was able to sit with his friend and open the gift they chose for him. With Aidan, because of his age, the child watched Aidan open his gift and then moved over and let the next person go...but this time, with Brit it was a little different. Because our "gift giving/receiving" tradition is so different, I always have to explain it. But not once have I heard anyone complain. Why would they...who doesn't want to GIVE and hand a gift to their friend and see the excitement on their face as they open it?! Sometimes the giving is the BEST part!! Especially if you have picked the gift that you feel is the perfect gift! After I explain our tradition, the kids run to get their presents and are constantly asking if they can go next. This year, as I said, I explained our tradition, let the kiddos get their gifts and then called them up one by one to hand their specially chosen gift to Britton. As Britton opened the gift, I took a picture of them together. I usually send the picture with the Thank You card. As I said, in years past, as with Aidan, it usually goes fairly fast. However, this year it was different. Maybe because they're older but things were definitely different. Britton's friends sat with him, some for several minutes as he opened their gift. They visited, giggled, the friends shared WHY they chose that gift and some even explained how cool it was because it.... It was touching to see. At one point, one of Brit's friends explained how she had made his card just for him...she had worked hard and it was evident. Britton looked at the card and said, "wow, Celesse, that's precious." During one moment, I moved closer to Brit's chair to hurry him and his little friend along, when I saw them huddled over the book that Brit had just been given, discussing how cool it was...I took a step back and paused...I thought, why rush him. This is why we chose to do things this way...so that Britton understands that the truest gift is one given of the heart. It doesn't matter how much it is, or how fancy or big it is...just that the person thought enough of him to give him a gift. A gift that they chose for him.
I am so proud of my little 7 year old man...today, on his 7th birthday...he got it..he understood the joy of receiving and giving a gift. Some may think it's a silly tradition, and yes, it definitely takes twice as long, but for my family...we will continue this tradition as long as my boys are under my roof...and I look forward to the day when they pass it onto their children. What is more fun than receiving a gift but GIVING one?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment