Tuesday, December 28, 2010

This Christmas was a wonderful time for my little family. However, I found myself not really getting into the "spirit" of things with the whole gift exchange thing. I couldn't exactly pin point WHAT exactly bothered me about it though. I thought and thought...Finally, I realized that I have never been a fan of the rip open, throw, & repeat way of doing Christmas morning. Actually, I don't like any type of event where the people open the gifts and never really know WHO they are from or WHY it was given. For example...last year at Britton's birthday party, I had each child get the gift that they had brought and sit down close to Britton. One at a time, each child handed Britton the gift that they had brought him. It enabled him to say thank you and look each friend in the face while doing so. I loved it. To this day, Britton can tell me who got him the Star Wars lego's when he plays with them. With that in mind..this Christmas I told the boys we were going to do the same thing. I took Britton shopping for his daddy, Aidan and Liam and took Aidan shopping for daddy, Britton and Liam. I bought Liam's presents for his brothers and daddy. Each brother helped me wrap the gifts then they put them under the tree. I enjoyed watching them show each other which one was their present for each other. Then Christmas morning, I was fully prepared to be "momma bear" and have to guide my lil cubs into what I feel is the proper act of giving a gift. However, something happened that I was completely unprepared for. I handed Britton a gift from me and his dad. Then we watched him open it. After that, I handed Britton a gift and said, Britton here is the gift for your daddy. He said, ok, Daddy you're going to LOVE this...and then he waited...practically jumping up and down with excitement. Then, as I handed Aidy a present from me, Aidy said, "Wait Momma, where's the present I bought Britton?" He then proceeded to look under the tree for his gift. I couldn't believe it. He was more excited to give Britton his gift than he was to open the gift for himself. I thought that at that moment...THAT is what Christmas is all about. Giving a gift that you have put some thought into. Something that you looked for and chose just for that special brother or friend in your life. Isn't it?
I know in our home, we will never again give a gift or receive a gift and not know who it is from. Each present will be handed, personally to the recipient...I want my children to know that GIVING is more important than receiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment