Thursday, July 21, 2011

Yes, it's a cliche..but a picture REALLY is worth 1000 words!

I have always claimed to be a person that is often terribly touched by the arts.  Music, pictures,  paintings, sketches....the way a person can show their passion, their hearts through other mediums has always caused a sense of wonderment in me.  Today as I was looking at some pictures that were highlighting a mission trip that some teens from Teen Mania ministries are on in Zambia, I was overtaken by amazement and wonder, by ONE picture in particular.   As I flipped through the pics I smiled, giggled, and said a prayer...then the above pic popped up and I stopped.  This picture grabbed me...it was one of those moments that I sat and just let the entire picture soak in....the child's arm, so relaxed..the teen holding her..with BOTH arms..not one...the teens eyes appear closed, as if in prayer or maybe just one of those blissful moments of love that only one who is loving unconditional can understand and feel...the way the child is leaning into the teen, the child trusts her..the child knows that in the world in which they live, the harsh, hard world, this teen has something special about her..a love that surpasses all...a Godly love.  The longer I look at the picture, tears start to flow down my cheeks..how many teens in our privileged society would take time out of their schedule nay their SUMMER to go to a third world country and when they don't realize anyone is looking, show love to a child...not for the glory of her, not for the notoriety, not for props...just for HIS glory...His alone.  This girl did...as did several others who are on the mission trip with her. 

A few moments pass, and I look at my own 3 sons...we are raising them to serve Him...we pray that they are able to serve him in a mission field..whether here in America or in a third world country..then I realize that I truly cannot WAIT to see how God uses my 3 sons.  As I looked at the picture, I not only saw it through the eyes of a woman, but through the eyes of a mom.  I can only imagine my reaction if I were looking at the pics taken while one of my sons were in another country and stumbling across them hugging a child in that manner...to see them love the way their Heavenly Father loves...wow...I am almost overwhelmed with emotion just thinking about it....

I do not know this sweet precious girl in the picture...nor do I know the child she is holding, but my life has been changed by this sweet precious moment.  When mundane days are bogging me down, and I am cleaning yet ANOTHER spill off the carpet and God presses me to speak to my children about Him, I will not claim to be too busy...too frustrated...I will obey. You see, my JOB, is to raise 3 young boys and to guide them in the ways of my Father.  That is my job....my mission...to show them how my Father loves them...to teach them what my Father has taught me.  I am not just raising kids...I am raising boys HE has entrusted to me, and I pray I get to witness the way God uses them, like He did this girl.

"Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’"

Protect her Heavenly Father..
amen.

2 comments:

  1. Misty, thank you so much for writing this. I too cried when I saw this picture. Kathryn is my daughter and I love her dearly. It was so hard to let her go on this trip another world away. Seeing your post made me look at it another way. She is truly a wonderful, God-filled young woman and my job as a mother has been to raise her for His work. Thanks for the reminder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misty, thank you for sharing your heart and how this beautiful picture captures the essence of God's love for the orphans in Zambia! And for Kathryn's mother, praise the Lord for your courage to raise your daughter to follow Christ...wherever He may lead her.

    I'm the founder of Every Orphan's Hope ministries. We're the host for Teen Mania and the Camp Hope events in Chongwe, Zambia. I'll be visiting the Team next Friday!

    Thanks again for sharing the story of God's amazing love and grace!

    Gary Schneider
    @GarySchneider
    gary@everyorphan.org

    ReplyDelete