Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Are we a Sheriff? or an EMT?

In the news lately, there has been much talk about a certain lady who was accused of murdering her little girl.  Unless you have lived under a rock until, well, NOW, you know to what I am referring.  After the verdict was read, many were devastated and said as much on their social media sites.  I read posts about killing her, judgements, and wishes for her to go to a certain WARM place.  Now, don't get me wrong..this isn't a post about how I support this certain woman. 
In the area in which I live, a woman has went missing.  This woman was last seen by her husband.  Her husband, at least as far as media is concerned, has been fairly quiet.  Now to the people of my community this is a VERY bad thing.  According to many, it is guaranteeing his guilt!  I posted tonight, on my social network site, "I wonder if **** went to a church in Cape or Jackson how he would be received." My wonderings went unanswered. However, b/c of the way my brain works, got me to wondering some more.  You see, this person is being tried by the public before there has even been any evidence publicized.  Public opinion has found him guilty and is ready to carryout a sentence.  Is this the way we should do things?
I heard a speaker recently who said something that came to my mind again, tonight while I was thinking of these current events.  He said, that when you cause a car wreck, two different people come to the scene.  The police will come and tell you which laws you break and issue you tickets for the laws you have broken and tell you when you have to see the judge.  The EMT will come and they take care of you.  They fix you up, care for you...no questions, no judgements.  You see, God doesn't ask us to be the Judge OR the police officer..he asks us to be the EMT's...we should love, care for them, and show them how to get help through Jesus. 
After I was deleted from a "friends" list because of my thoughts on not passing judgement I realized...we as a people WANT to see judgement..however, it is NOT ours to give.  We are to love..no matter the crime..LOVE...that is what Jesus did..
John 8  But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.  Early in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people were coming to Him; and He sat down and began to teach them.  The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman caught in adultery, and having set her in the center of the court,  they said to Him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in adultery, in the very act.  Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women; what then do You say?”They were saying this, testing Him, so that they might have grounds for accusing Him. But Jesus stooped down and with His finger wrote on the ground.  But when they persisted in asking Him, He straightened up, and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.” Again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. 
Jesus didn't say those whose sins aren't as bad...throw the first stone...he said, you who is WITHOUT sin..throw the first stone....
So, tonight, as you say your prayers..tomorrow morning, when you spend a little one on one time with the one who loves you more than anything...ask him to help you be an EMT..and leave your sheriff's badge behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment