Saturday, January 8, 2011

A letter to you...





My Dear Aidan,

I wanted to take a minute to write you a letter sharing some of my memories of you and Shelby. You wanted her so badly. You asked Santa for her. She was all you wanted for Christmas that year. You were only 2. Santa came through and brought her to you. You were so excited. She became your instant companion. You would wake up every morning and go see her in the garage and snuggle with her on the floor. The bigger Shelby got, the funnier you two were. She got to a point where whenever you would run she could SOMEHOW manage to take your pants off! You would come in crying saying Shelby took your pants, I'd look out the window and there she would be either running through the yard with them or laying on them in her bed. After she stopped stripping your pants off, she began taking your lovey. You would scream, NO SHELB. She'd grab it and run. It was pretty funny. We'd have to get onto her though, she needed to learn. One day I walked out in the garage and she had your coat in her kennel and was laying on it. She had that coat until summer set in and I guess she drug it off somewhere. I think she wanted it because it smelled like you. Your dad and I would joke that you two were two of a kind. You made messes and Shelby made messes. You were happy go lucky in your mess and so was she. We would get onto her and she'd pout...and yes, so did you. The thing that amazed me the most was the bigger she got, the more gentle she became with you. She still tortured poor Brit, by jumping on him and such, but you, she just snuggled and walked beside you. She was so loyal. One of my favorite images was watching you walk across the street to play with Ben and Emma and Shelby walking beside you. She had the speed to run off and leave you, but she was content to just be next to you.
One day, you were outside and Shelby had chewed up something. I was getting ready to get onto her and you walked up to her and said, "Shelby Dale!" I couldn't get onto her after that. I was both laughing too hard and she looked as if she had been dealt the worse punishment in the world!
Even in Shelby's last moments, her loyalty to you was clear. She was lying in the grass and you came out to say goodbye. When I explained to you what was about to occur, you started to scream. I looked down at Shelby and in her pain she tried to lift her head. She wanted to comfort you. She loved you, my sweet boy. And you loved her. I don't know what the future holds for us, as far as getting another pet, but I know one thing is for sure....Shelby was a wonderful dog, loyal and loving to you. You loved her too. I am so glad "Santa" brought her to you. I got to spend an entire year watching you pour out your love to her. It is an image I will forever hold in my heart. I love you son...

Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment