Wednesday, September 7, 2011

We are ALL Jars of Clay

This morning my reading was in 2 Corinthians 4:1-7, which I would like to share...
Therefore, since through God's mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart. Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God.  On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God. And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing.  The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the Glory of Christ, who is the image of God.  For we do not preach ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus sake.  For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.  But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." 

When I first read this..I had to research what the "jars of clay" comment was...you see, to me, a person who LOVES pottery, I thought it meant a precious vessel and while we are indeed precious vessel's...that isn't exactly what theologians believe Paul is referring to.  Jars of clay are easily broken...they are frail, fallible.  We as humans, are frail..even fallible, but Jesus, God, trusts US with his message.  So, when we are in ministry whether it be in Zambia, China, our workplace or even in our homes with our little charges, we are entrusted with HIS message.  We do not lift ourselves up and say, "aren't we AWESOME!"  Quite the opposite, we lift Him up and say "isn't HE awesome!" We need to renounce secret and shameful ways.  We need to not be deceitful or distort the Word of God (to fit our own agendas!!)...we need to let the light shine in the darkness. 
This passage hit me between the eyes this morning...as I prepare for another season of Operation Christmas Child, I have to be sure my focus remains on HIM...not me...not the truck (and how many boxes are in it) but the Savior who has asked me, a frail, jar of clay, to pack a shoe box and pray for the child, sight unseen, who will receive it...and in doing so, share the light of Jesus with a dark world. 
I am reminded of a song that was popular when I was in High School, by a band named Audio Adrenaline and I will close with a portion of the song...perhaps the portion that tends to make me stop and re-evaluate my actions every time I hear it! 
I wanna be your hands, I wanna be your feet, I wanna go where you send me, go where you send me.  ~Audio Adrenaline

No comments:

Post a Comment