Sunday, September 11, 2011

At the fire

There was a poem that was in a book that I absolutely adored as a young child.  I can still remember, so clearly, WHERE the book was located in the library at my elementary school.  Every week, during library, there were several of us who just hoped and prayed that our table got called first to go check out a book so we could get that book.  The book was Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein.  Still to this day, when I see my own copy of this beloved book my heart does a lil flip and I can't WAIT to open it and read.  Every time, as a child, and I was the lucky one who got to check the book out, would start the same way..I practically had it memorized, but still, I always started with page one.  Odd that I mentioned that you might think since it's a book and starting with page one is usually the way it is done.  However, Where the Sidewalk Ends is a book of poems.  Thus, there is no RIGHT place to start. Just open it up and take off!  My, personal, take off place was always the first poem....
"If you are a dreamer, come in.
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer,
For we have some flax golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!"

Come in...no matter what. No matter what the situation. No matter if you like to dream, wish, hope, pray or LIE..no matter what! Come in. 
I firmly believe I have always loved the idea of being loved for me.  I have always thought the idea of not having to live my life to prove myself, to make someone else happy, to be able to be open and honest about mistakes and not pretend they never occurred would be such a glorious way to live.  That instead of ignoring the 10,000 pound elephant in the room, ask it to sit beside you.  Not simply to be silently accepted..but to be told..no matter what your situation, come in! A dream world, maybe. 
This poem always made me feel that no matter what I am like, brown hair, blue eyes, slightly frumpy...that I am alwyas welcome at Shel's fire.  He wants me to come in no matter what.  He wants to spin fun tales with me!  And after a giddy moment, all those years ago, I would dive face first into his book of flax golden tales! ***ahhhh***
Now, as an adult...I find I am still the same way.  My most treasured friendships are the ones where we can just be in the same room (or driveway) and not have to talk.  Oh, sure, we'll chat every now and then, but silence is ok too.  Complete acceptance.  Just being me.  As glorious as those friendships are, there is something in my life that is even more glorious (if you can imagine).  You see, I have a relationship with the King of Kings.  The most powerful being on the earth...heck, he created the world!  AND, he wants to be with me.  I don't have to confess my mistakes to him and hide my head and hope he still likes me, no...he knows everything already and he still wants to be near me.  No false pretenses, no expectations...just me being me...the me he made.  He knows I am prone to emotion...he's ok with that.  He knows I feel less than adequate, I'll give you the strength, He says.  He too, like Shel, wants me to sit by his fire.  He, too, wants to hear my dreams.  He, too, wants to tell me His plans for me.  But more importantly he, too, just wants to be with ME.  Maybe I'm different...maybe I'mt he only one in the world who feels that the idea of someone just telling me to come in so they can enjoy my presence for a bit is absolutely delightful...maybe.  Or, maybe you too, feel that someone accepting you as you are would be a breath of fresh air.  No pretenses. You just as you are!  Wrinkles? He loves 'em!  Gray hair? No problem!  Bed head...bad breath...none of that matters.  He just wants to meet you...at your fire. 
True, unabashed, unconditional love...just you and Him.  Join Him...at his fire..you have some flax golden tales to spin! 
"My heart has heard you say, 'Come and talk with me.' And my heart responds, 'Lord, I am coming.'" Psalm 27:8 New Living Translation

No comments:

Post a Comment