Sunday, May 15, 2011

I was made to love you...& be loved by you!

This morning in church, I had one of those moments that we Christians live for. The lights were down and a song that reminded me how awesome the God is that I serve. I found myself unable to worship Him by ONLY singing the words and within a few minutes my hands were up in the air. After the song was over, I was struck by a thought...something I have never heard addressed in any theology magazine, discussed behind the pulpit or been instructed on by my camp counselors of old. And that is WHAT exactly am I to do with my hands once the song has ended, the preacher has begun speaking but I am NOT done worshiping...that thought, like MOST thinking I do, led to another thought...why is it that when we/I worship, do I feel weird STOPPING...like I should keep going..
Well, I have a theory about that. We were made to worship. When we raise our hands in worship in public arenas, a question arises. How exactly do we put them down? Do we do so quickly, slowly or slowly and merge them into a polite clap? Do you put them in your pocket? Clasp them? I believe this inability to feel comfortable doing ANYTHING other than raising them in praise is because PRAISE is what we were designed for. Now, yes, I agree that our every act is supposed to be worship...when we look at the flowers, we breathe them in and THAT is also an act of worship, but should it stop there? Now I understand that if we are in the flower shop & we throw our hands up in the air we will very likely be labeled the town lunatic. But THAT is what we were made for!! To PRAISE our creator! So, what exactly should we do..we were designed to worship, but know that worshiping public in certain areas will get us a private room in the local looney bin! Well, we worship in formal settings, aka church. We worship at our home...we throw those hands up...and then anxiously await the moment when we are called home & the place where having your hands clasped calmly in front of you will not be normal...but instead have them up all the time and have no one look at you strangely!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment