Tuesday, October 6, 2009

He's Growing Up..sniff


On the way to school, Aidan sits in the back, thumb in his mouth, lovey in his hand.  He is usually quiet, except for the occasional question about bubba or daddy.  "we pick bit up soon?" "daddy wohk?" "got my jacket mommy?" Other than that he is fairly quiet...just looks out the window and sucks his thumb while holding the tag to lovey.  I occasionally look in the mirror and marvel on how cute and tiny he looks back there.  Wondering when he will no longer suck his thumb...when he won't care if he has his lovey....when he doesn't need a car seat anymore....I can usually handle the thoughts ok..take them in stride, so to speak...Today was different.  I don't know why, but when I looked back there and thought of how he has already moved out of so many stages of baby-hood (diapers, bottles, crib) I feel my chest tighten.  I can't believe he is growing up so fast.  Too fast...It won't be long and I'll be dropping him off for Kg.  No, that is too much to think about...
When we got to school, I got him out and asked him to "snuggle me up".  He wraps his arms around me and gives me a big squeeze.  I close my eyes and soak up the "scent" of my Aidy...We get to class, he sits in the circle, takes his thumb out and says, "Mommy, put my lovey in my cubby." 6 words that changed everything...put my lovey in my cubby...words that caused me to stammer out, "uh, oh of course baby".  I can't help but wonder why on this day, when I was feeling so melancholy to begin with, did he choose to say those 6 words...but say them  he did and in saying them he showed me that Yes, he is indeed growing up....

No comments:

Post a Comment