Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Santa Letter, oops & double oops


Several weeks ago, I found this website where I could compose a "real" letter from Santa to Britton.  Because I am a total freak about Christmas, I was completely giddy over the idea and couldn't wait to get started.  I worked on this letter for over an hour!  Once, I finished, I paid for the letter, and closed my laptop with complete elation and satisfaction over my "yeah, mommy" moment!  
(fast forward two weeks)
We got home from getting Britton & Aidan from school.  In the mail was this VERY shiny red envelope.  I looked at the addressee and noticed it was to Brit  and had this GOLD label on it that said SC....As I said above, I am SUCH a freak I was absolutely spastic over this coming in the mail..."Brit," I squealed..."you got something in the mail."  "What is it," he said.  "I'm not sure" I fibbed...He took the envelope from me and immediately noticed the return address..."Santa Claus, North Pole, Alaska".."Momma," he is squealing now too, "it's from SANTA!" 
"Oh, my goodness, let's open it!" I said...As I squatted down to open the envelope, all excitement quickly went away, as I looked at Aidan who was standing there and his smile slowly faded from his face, "where my yetter fwom Santa?" 
uh oh
I hadn't ordered one for Aidan because I never DREAMED he would even notice it.  What WAS I thinking? This kid notices EVERYTHING!  
Tears immediately start pouring down Aidan's cheeks.  I said, "Brit do you want to open your letter," not wanting to take away from my, I mean, Britton's exciting moment.  He said, with absolute conviction, "I don't want to open it until Aidy is happy." 
About 5 minutes later and after much explaining that Santa must have mailed his letter on another day Aidy was happy, Britton was ecstatic over his letter and all seemed well.  
So..knowing I needed to get my computer plugged in so I could order a letter for Aidy, I ran upstairs to get the computer. As I was walking back down, I eavesdropped on a little conversation my two sons were having...it went like this...
Aidy: hey, Bit
Brit: Yeah, Aidy
Aidy: Bit, I want a wetta fwom Santa
Brit: Aidy, remember mommy said he was going to mail yours later
Aidy: oh kay, hey Bit
Brit: Yeah, Aidy
Aidy: I hate santa caus
Brit: you don't want to hate Santa Claus, he brings you the presents.
Aidy: awwite
Aidy: Hey Bit, will he bing me a puppy?
Brit: no, Aidy, he might bring you a wind up puppy but not a real one, he can't carry it in his bag.
Aidy: awwite

There are no words to describe the emotions I felt there, cowering on my stairs, so I could listen to my boys talk about Santa Claus.  I learned several VERY valuable lessons....
1.Aidy notices everything and though he is two, has VERY strong emotions when he feels he was wronged.
2.  Brit is a very sensitive person, especially when it comes to his brother.
and 3.  I almost spoiled Santa all because I didn't pay attention to number one! 

I will NOT let that happen again! 
Merry Christmas, Aidy....

No comments:

Post a Comment